Monday, July 28, 2008

Encash, not bash the male.


The very cocky headline aside, I have a confession to make, a few questions to ask and a few suggestions to add to all the hullabaloo.

When I was at college, final year – I took up women’s writing as a subject just because the alternative (Literary Theory) just sounded too difficult to crack. I chose the subject without knowing what I was really getting into – not that I regret it now, 2 years down. I’m rather happy of the intelligent choice I made, unconsciously so and the way it has shaped me as an individual.

I was the only guy in class to have chosen the subject, probably because I had absolutely no hang ups/ was confident about my sexuality- at least that’s what I claimed back then.

(Before you gawk - I’m straight). In a class of around 40 people there were only 9 of us who took up feminism. The guys stated that they were too macho to study, analyse and critique frilly write ups (this is how they imagined the subject to be – wrongly so. It was only through me that they later learned that feminist literature was much more harsher and violent than the Greek wars they read and romanticized about in class) and the girls… well they had no excuse. They just did as the society had molded them to do, over the years. All that it would have taken for them to counter society and the patriarchy that is so prevalent in it was to have taken up the course. Well this was the reason of their choice, for most of the girls – exception claimers aside.

My girlfriend being a staunch feminist herself, attracts a lot of stink eyes from people when they learn of her stand on gender dynamics…and later, when they learn that even I am on the same side as hers… they are suddenly more tolerant. Ridiculous, how people function!

Like just the other day, when a servicing guy in my office was bitching about an art chick he thought had too much attitude for her size said “…and I think she’s a feminist too! By God! Shit!”… Now what the fuck is that supposed to mean???

The saxay boy shut the fuck up when I told him that I was one too, and that I didn't understand what the big deal was about being one.

I remember once in my feminism class back at college, when a lecturer of mine recalled her thoughts from when she was expecting her 1st baby - “I wish I have a daughter. Then I could raise her to be a feminist”

This comment of hers left me confused…

See, with patriarchy having to do with male domination and the acceptance of it by even women – would it not be intelligent of us to breed more male feminists than to breed more and more female ones? The society functions – like it or not – as men do or say… so why not have men preach feminism?? Its not that hard to have men on your team you know…Coz we are gullible as fuck. You just need to hit the right spot. Give us a Grear with visuals or an even more modernistic version of the same to flip through. Or even better, (sexist as it may sound) have a pretty looking chick read it out to us! So, my point basically being, that rather than bashing males so generically, one should try and get them to join the revolution instead!

I’m going to end this stream of consciousness right here because some lousy copy driven work just came in …

And just for the record, this post was triggered by the comments I read on a blog that I came across today. This blog was by a chica who shares the same nickname or maybe her actual name with Gunj, and may I add – even looks like her!! Ironical as the situation may be, she’s a feminist too. Of course, the Gunj I know is going to slaughter me for this. She thinks that this new Gunj is an impostor! Also, Tenzin shall be slayed ( who is a pseudo anti feminist – someone ask him why), for introducing me to Gunj’s blog. The new Gunj’s blog… not the one we know. Okay this is confusing.

Also, I need to buy shorts. I had too much of the red bull that the promotion cuties gave me for free at work today – which is making me piss like a monkey. I still haven’t watched dark knight – I’ve to go as soon as I find someone who hasn’t watched it, provided we get tickets. The London International award’s and The Goa fest’s call for entries posters are staring at me. I am random.

10 comments:

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

i so totally love that thought of yours pal! having feminist men will make things a lot more easier!
n i am a feminist for sure but i rather lash out at women for taking undue advantage of their feminism than look at how unfair men are!!

n please do applaud the Gunj you know for judging the Gunj none of you know- just right!! :)

Mysterious Mia said...

ah now tat was nice, specially coming from a guy n talking of feminist men....oh yeah totally bring it on....we need more of these...first time here, loved yur post ;)

Supernova said...

I wish I was intelligent enough to take up Women's writing. Not for personality or blah-blah but for extra marks.
'Jokes' aside, I also agree feminist men (straight/otherwise) will help shorten the bridge. And which professor are you talking about?
And FYKI, your Gunj will murder you for your comment on both the Gunjs' as twins. Christ! shine a torch of mercy for the necromant.

But overall, a very interesting point of view. Every second person is educated but real education is something which shines in this post.

PS- And yes, write more about me. I loved seeing my name there :P

Unholy Saint said...

Nice...but hey, you can't go on ranting as if Lit Theory was a fuck in Ibiza....its not simple and we also covered feminist writings...and even we have the right to say that we are proud to be feminists...(something you won't be easily digesting in my case)

Gunjeet Sra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gunjeet Sra said...

I hate u prateek , thats all i can say..i hate u so friggin much!!!!!and u know why i'm saying this..hatred aside, your post is good in parts, though the central argumenr is great, the writing is mediocre

nikhilguha said...

good job buddy...i wholeheartdly agree with you on the paucity and importance of male feminists...

well done!
you making sense to me(thats a first)...
love the random ending...

deshu said...

... ive always been a feminist but ive started feelin al dese girls i like shamelesly fuckin every rich dickhead dey meet need 2 b tortured and raped 4 ignoring a lot of ugly n penniless guys like me... n now i blv every nxt grl is doin dt... dt means every nxt grl needs 2 b fucked real bad.. seriously.. wadya think people..

Prateek said...

@deshu - Im just waiting for people to respond to your post... and i have a feeling that youre going to be e-clobbered.

Also, i think you should visit a psychologist my friend.

nidhi said...

parteek suri...great thought..stemming from the admirably motivated company you keep...who really friggin hates you. heh. but i resent being told that i'm not a feminist if i don't take up women's writings.
different times have different aspirations pegged to them. then it was marks - and lit theory had feminist writings too. don't go bashing the other half just coz you - luckily - were sane enough to pick it up.
but apart from that, feminist men is a cool idea, albeit an obvious one. as in, it should be obvious, and you're always one for stating the obvious in more ways than one. heh.